Country of Study

Study in Canada

Study in Canada

Considering that it’s the second largest country in the world by land area, there’s plenty to explore in Canada. Bordered by the United States to the south, the Pacific Ocean on the west, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, and the Arctic Ocean to the north, Canada has a unique location that offers some stunning views, extreme weather, and unlimited things to discover. These are just a few of the reasons that students love studying abroad in Canada!
If you are a foreign national, meaning you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, then a study permit will be required before you can formally enter Canada to study. Study permits allow international students to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). Before you apply, make sure you have all the necessary documentation. In general, a study permit will be valid for the entire length of your studies, plus an extra 90 days, which allows individuals to prepare a permit extension or leave Canada.


Start by choosing the degree program that is right for you. Almost every degree program in Canada will be taught in English. Whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student, there are degrees in a multitude of fields across disciplines. Canada is internationally renowned for a variety of programs, including its humanities, business, and science programs.
After you have received an unconditional letter of acceptance from a Canadian College or University, you are required to obtain a study permit i.e., a student visa for Canada. You can apply for a Canadian study permit online. Alternatively, a paper application along with the necessary documents can also be submitted at a Canadian VFS centre located at different places. The visa forms for the same can be obtained from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

List of Documents to be Submitted

Let’s check the student visa requirements for Canada in detail. The following are the list of documents to be submitted along with the completed Visa Application Forms.
  • A copy of a valid Letter of Acceptance from a Canadian University, Community College or Technical Institute (Designated Learning Institute).
  • Original Passport, which must be valid for at least one year from the planned date of entry into Canada.
  • Copy of IELTS or TOEFL scores as applicable.
  • Copy of all the academic documents and work experience certificates.
  • Non-refundable Visa processing fee of CAD 150.
  • Receipt of advance payment of first-semester / annual tuition fees as applicable.
  • A copy of GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) to cover the first year's living expenses. GIC is mandatory for visa applications filed under Study Direct Stream (SDS).
  • You can also submit an Education Loan Sanction letter for an amount equivalent to CAD 10,000 for the living expenses under General/University Category.
  • Two passport size photographs (45mm height, 35 mm width, white background with 80% face visibility).
  • Medical Examination Receipt: You have to undergo a medical examination from a designated medical practitioner as approved by IRCC. The receipt of this medical examination should be submitted along with the visa application.
    The reports are directly uploaded online to the e-medical website by the doctor and is viewable by the visa officer whenever the visa file is being processed.
  • If you want to study in Quebec, you must obtain, in addition, a Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) from the Quebec government. The CAQ application can be filled Online and students receive CAQ on their email within 5-7 weeks.

Visa Interview

Normally no visa interviews are conducted for a student visa for Canada. An interview (Telephonic or in person) with a Canadian Visa Officer may be requested for in rare instances. You will be advised in writing of the time and place for the personal interview. In case of a telephonic interview, a call may be received anytime. If there is no visa interview, file is assessed on the basis of documents submitted and visa is granted accordingly.