Country of Study

 Spain Student Visa

Spain Student Visa

If you're from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland and studying in Spain for more than six months, you’ll need a type D student visa and student residence card (TIE - Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero).
The Spain student visa application cost is €60.
EU, EEA and Swiss students will still need to obtain a NIE (identification number for foreigners): for this you need to register at an immigration office when you arrive in Spain.

Documents required for a student visa in Spain

  • Completed visa application form
  • Passport valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain
  • 2 recent passport-size photos
  • Letter of acceptance from a Spanish university
  • Information about the study programme (extended details regarding your chosen degree within the university, such as the hours of study per week)
  • Health insurance – a minimum coverage equal to 30,000 EUR during the whole period of your studies
  • Proof of financial means during your stay (at least 900 EUR/month)
  • Medical certificate
  • Visa application fee (60 EUR)
  • Criminal record certificate (issued in the last five years by the relevant authorities in your home country)
  • Visas for dependents of students

    Your spouse or children under 18 can usually join you in Spain if you are there on a study visa for more than six months. You will need to show that you can financially support them as well as yourself and your course fees.
    They need to register at the local Oficina de Extranjeros for their TIE, and are not automatically eligible to work in Spain.

    Working in Spain with a student visa

    You can work up to 20 hours a week in Spain provided that you have the correct work permit and it does not interfere with your studies. It’s also worth noting that you cannot be undertaking work as the only means of supporting yourself whilst in Spain.
    Before beginning work you need to receive the correct permit from Spain’s immigration authorities. The application for this can be completed at an Oficina de Extranjeros and you should speak with them before to ensure you know the exact process and have all the relevant documents. Receiving your permit may take a long time so you should apply as soon as possible.
    EU / EEA students do not need a work permit for Spain.